Making the Jump to Lead Designer

 


I have always steered clear of lead roles and after 25 years in the industry people start to look at you funny.  But to me a lead role is a different job, a people managing job.  I got into the game industry to make games, not manage people.  Most of the leads I knew barely knew how to open the editor the team used.  I didn't want to be that person.

However when I started at Lost Boys as a Senior Designer they immediately approached me about being the Design Lead of the project.  At first I was pretty reluctant but they said give it a try.  If it works out great, if not I'm still a Senior Designer.  So I thought what the hell, the industry expects this move out of people after a number of years and this was a great way to see if it would work for me.

After 5 months in the role I'm shocked to say I really enjoy it!  I'm in fact kicking myself that I didn't make the move sooner.  I've been a senior designer so long I didn't even realize I was in a rut.  Now with the new role and responsibilities work seems fresh and exciting again!  

I can't wait to share what I'm working on, but for now I'd really love to thank Chase at Lost Boys for offering this opportunity to me.  And for doing it in such a way that didn't intimidate me from taking it.  


- Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment